The Lettie Pate Evans Foundation is an independent private foundation that invests primarily in education and arts and culture. Most grants are made to institutions in Georgia. Occasional grants are made to institutions in Virginia that were supported by Mrs. Evans during her life.
Our ApproachWe pursue our mission by responding to community needs, typically making grants to institutions and projects with strong leadership and a broad base of support. The Foundation seeks to help organizations with a proven track record of success stretch further to seize new opportunities or to meet extraordinary needs. Generally, the Foundation prefers not to be the only funder for a project, but to participate with the community in supporting initiatives led by others. The Foundation will occasionally make leading grants when the need is great and the initiative is compelling.
Where We FundThe Foundation’s grantmaking is generally limited to organizations located and operating in Georgia, with a focus on metro Atlanta. Institutions in Virginia are considered for grants only if they received support from Mrs. Evans during her life.
What We FundThe Foundation makes grants to qualified nonprofit organizations. Grants are typically awarded for capital needs or other initiatives of well-established charitable organizations in the following program areas:
- Strong executive and volunteer leadership
- Track record of sustainable operations
- Broad base of financial support
- Proven program effectiveness
What We Do Not Fund
- Organizations that do not have 501(c)(3) status
- Organizations in Virginia that were not supported by Mrs. Evans during her life
- Debt relief
- Festivals, performances or exhibits
- Films or documentaries
- Fundraising events
- Professional associations
- Public schools
- Sponsorships or special events
- Startup organizations or seed funding