How to Apply
The Lettie Pate Evans Foundation is an independent private foundation that invests primarily in education and arts and culture. Most grants are made to institutions in Georgia. Occasional grants are made to institutions in Virginia that were supported by Mrs. Evans during her life.
EligibilityYour organization may be eligible for a grant if it:
- Is a 501(c)(3) public charity.
- Is located or operating in Georgia.
- Is a Virginia institution that received support from Mrs. Evans during her life.
- Aligns with the Foundation’s program interests in Education or Arts & Culture.
Application DeadlinesThe Foundation accepts grant requests throughout the year. We encourage you to submit before the deadlines listed below.
- February 1 – Requests received by February 1 will be considered at the April meeting of our Board of Trustees.
- August 15 – Requests received by August 15 will be considered at the November meeting of our Board of Trustees.
- Review our eligibility requirements (above), grantmaking guidelines and our program interests in Education or Arts & Culture. We encourage you to submit an informal inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if you should apply for a grant.
- Submit a request using our online grant portal by clicking the “Submit Grant Request Letter” button below. Note each organization is permitted only one account in the portal, which should be managed by a single contact who is responsible for all submissions.
You will be asked to enter your organization’s EIN, complete a short eligibility quiz, and upload the following materials as a single PDF:
- Grant request letter that briefly describes your organization (its mission, history and programs) and the proposed project, including the challenge it addresses, project goals and/or expected outcomes. The letter should be on letterhead, dated, signed by your organization’s leadership, and addressed to P. Russell Hardin, President of the Woodruff, Whitehead and Evans Foundations.
- Itemized project budget, including all major categories of expense. If personnel expense is part of your project budget, please indicate the number of staff.
- Operating budget, including budgeted and actual amounts for all major income and expense categories for your current fiscal year.
- Fundraising status report, including all sources of support in hand or anticipated. Please include totals.
- Financial statements, including most recent audit report.
- Board list, including name, title and professional affiliation for each member. Please note officers and include an address for your board chair.
- Current IRS determination letter.
Please do not mail a copy of your grant request to the Foundation.
- You can save and return to a grant request at any time. To return to a saved request, click the “Return to Saved Grant Request” button below.
Grant Review ProcessGrant requests are reviewed by our president, grants program director and program officers. If your request is clearly not within the giving interests of the Foundation, we will notify you promptly by email.
If your request is accepted for consideration at the next meeting of our Board of Trustees, you will be notified by letter and contacted by Foundation staff for a meeting or site visit.
All grant decisions are made by our Trustees at their board meeting based on the merits of your request and the priorities of the Foundation. The Foundation will notify you of its decision by letter within one week of the Board of Trustees meeting.